Well... those who I have been talking intensely to know that I have been intimidated and a bit apprehensive of my ability to teach my children at home sweet home. I have had such a rise in my spirit that I am completely charged about this as a whole!! I am convinced in my own mind what I should be doing as a mother and like minded with my husband as a family.
So here is what we are doing. Sorry I can't provide pictures... sadly our camera is in a permanent state of error!!
Anyway... I recently bought an abacus from Ross (awesome puzzles and MELISSA AND DOUG products), play money by MELISSA AND DOUG from Ross, I made flash cards with the numbers and written names of the numbers with that amount of stickers on the back of the card to count out. Aaron was quite impressed that I managed to get 20 stickers on a 3X5 card. I plan on making a paperplate clock for teaching time... and we have a FANTASTIC puzzle from ROSS that helps to teach time. Which by the way we have just gotten into puzzles and I have found myself in a constant state of sifting through the garbage that is puzzles these days!! Target had a sale on 24 piece puzzles recently and I selfishly gathered up all the decent puzzles and then sifted through them. Yes sadly a women had strolled up and was waiting patiently like a scavenger for my leftovers.
I have an amazing book from the Veritas Press catalog called DRAWING WITH CHILDREN, you can of course find it on Amazon for much cheaper and get your wonderful friend with an Amazon Prime account to get it with free 2 day shipping! (thanks Em) So Art and Math are my strong studies so I am hodgepodging those.... now phonics on the other hand!!!! Have not absolutely decided on a curriculum for that. I guess we won't worry about reading and writing right now, after all you just have to know how to sign your name for a piece of art... and Avery knows that!
I have delightful felt characters from BETTY LUKENS and the shorter Catechism to teach them the Bible... and other than that we are getting them excited about learning with bug cages, classic or timeless books and an unmeasurable amount of snuggling. Now I don't know about any of you but I have found myself becoming snobbish about my book collection. I really didn't think it was going to be this important to me, but I have found myself weeding out the books that are "book candy" as my sister-in-law refers to them. I love the timeless classics like 'Stone Soup', 'We help Mommy' (a golden book), 'Little Bear', 'The Giant Jam Sandwich' and 'Winnie the Pooh' (the ones with the original drawings). I don't like the overly colorful, big balloony, cartoony characters. I just seem to get overstimulated by them and I can't stand reading them over and over. I want a book that I.... I, I get a kick out of, something that while and after I read it perhaps I would say "uh" and it has taught me something. I read somewhere that if you enjoy it when you are 50 that is a book to get. So basically that is my stitch on books we own. We might go to the library and borrow "book candy" but we give it back! LOL~
Wow that was a lot... but without a camera you just have to spell it out! :)
So here is what we are doing. Sorry I can't provide pictures... sadly our camera is in a permanent state of error!!
Anyway... I recently bought an abacus from Ross (awesome puzzles and MELISSA AND DOUG products), play money by MELISSA AND DOUG from Ross, I made flash cards with the numbers and written names of the numbers with that amount of stickers on the back of the card to count out. Aaron was quite impressed that I managed to get 20 stickers on a 3X5 card. I plan on making a paperplate clock for teaching time... and we have a FANTASTIC puzzle from ROSS that helps to teach time. Which by the way we have just gotten into puzzles and I have found myself in a constant state of sifting through the garbage that is puzzles these days!! Target had a sale on 24 piece puzzles recently and I selfishly gathered up all the decent puzzles and then sifted through them. Yes sadly a women had strolled up and was waiting patiently like a scavenger for my leftovers.
I have an amazing book from the Veritas Press catalog called DRAWING WITH CHILDREN, you can of course find it on Amazon for much cheaper and get your wonderful friend with an Amazon Prime account to get it with free 2 day shipping! (thanks Em) So Art and Math are my strong studies so I am hodgepodging those.... now phonics on the other hand!!!! Have not absolutely decided on a curriculum for that. I guess we won't worry about reading and writing right now, after all you just have to know how to sign your name for a piece of art... and Avery knows that!
I have delightful felt characters from BETTY LUKENS and the shorter Catechism to teach them the Bible... and other than that we are getting them excited about learning with bug cages, classic or timeless books and an unmeasurable amount of snuggling. Now I don't know about any of you but I have found myself becoming snobbish about my book collection. I really didn't think it was going to be this important to me, but I have found myself weeding out the books that are "book candy" as my sister-in-law refers to them. I love the timeless classics like 'Stone Soup', 'We help Mommy' (a golden book), 'Little Bear', 'The Giant Jam Sandwich' and 'Winnie the Pooh' (the ones with the original drawings). I don't like the overly colorful, big balloony, cartoony characters. I just seem to get overstimulated by them and I can't stand reading them over and over. I want a book that I.... I, I get a kick out of, something that while and after I read it perhaps I would say "uh" and it has taught me something. I read somewhere that if you enjoy it when you are 50 that is a book to get. So basically that is my stitch on books we own. We might go to the library and borrow "book candy" but we give it back! LOL~
Wow that was a lot... but without a camera you just have to spell it out! :)
1 comment:
i'm excited FOR you and right along WITH you! it's so thrilling to think about the years to come with our children at home with us! i'm so glad you are PUMPED about it!!! i totally agree about the book candy... i've also heard them called fast-food books (teaching the whole-hearted child calls them that, i think). that is what paperback swap is for!!! exchange my "thought these were cute but now they are taking up valuable space" books for those living, classic books! i'm sorry i couldn't chat tonite when you popped in to say hey at church... i was in a time crunch and i knew once i started chatting about homeschool, that would be the end of me. :) hopefully we can talk soon. i can drop that book by your house on my way home from CC tomorrow if you want (after 12?). i'll give you a call. and i still read this whole post even without pictures. :)
Post a Comment